Friday, August 29, 2014

'The Girl I met on Christmas Day’ 1968 Dan Nang' (original 26 Dec. 2009)


'The Girl I met on Christmas Day’ 1968  Dan Nang

was the first story that I wrote when I opened a blog
'A Time For Revolution' (original 26 Dec. 2009)

I lost the password and could not get back in so I am 
updating it here. This is the most important story to me 
because what happened this day changed me forever...


I landed in Da Nang early on Christmas morning...2-3am.
Later I would fly north to Dong Ha, and then by truck to
Quang Tri to join the 3rd Marines at Fox 2/3 (Mai Loc),
then 2nd Platoon Golf 2/3 Second Battalion, Third Marine 
Regiment,  at Charlie 3 and Charlie 2.

We were taken into Da Nang city briefly after being warned
that begging children might be thieves. We came upon a group
of 20 or so such children.. I had some money to give and sweets.

At first it felt good to give to people in need, but I felt bad that
they had to beg. And, I asked myself why aren't we (the US
military) feeding them (my first realization that things weren't
right). Almost all were under 10, but some had amputations,
shrapnel damage and more. Many were okay, but this was what
this hard marine so eager for combat saw on his first day in
Viet Nam .

I felt someone's presence at the back of the group. I knew she
was looking at me, and when I looked up I saw a lovely girl of
between 11-13. She looked right into my eyes (softly) for a bit, 
then lowered (bowed) her head. But, by then, she had torn my 
heart out.

She did not hold her hand out like the others. I think she felt
different...not as young as the others)...and marred. I was frozen
in place as I looked at her.

She raised her head again, made eye contact...kept it for a bit and
lowered her head again. I waded through the crowd till I stood in 
front of her and she raised her head again and we looked at each 
other.

I nodded to her, and she at me. I felt a lump in my throat, and my
eyes were wet from tears. I took her hand and gave her all the money
I had, except for what was in my boots, and put candy atop it to make
it seem like I was just giving her sweets. Then I nodded, and made a
head gesture at the children behind us, at the money and looked at her
so she would be careful. She understood.

It was then, that I knew how cruel was is. She was a girl, and if others
suspected she had money, or more money they might try to take from
her. They were all trying to survive.

We both nodded to each other, and looked at each other for a long 
and tender moment. I know I was holding back tears, and she knew. 
We shared a special and poignant moment in space and time that I 
will never forget.

You see this beautiful Vietnamese girl had no right eye and, had 
minimal treatment because she didn't wear an American uniform! 
She was not even given an eye patch.

But she was a beautiful young girl. And, it is that young girl, and 
her soulful look, and her situation that has been with me ever since.
Da Nang did not have an eye hospital until 1998. Plenty of money 
for war, but not for people.

I know she appreciated whatever I gave her, but it felt inadequate to 
me. I could see the whole her, and my heart ached(s) for her. Ive'
always wondered what became of her? I would have food, water,
medical care, but she?

It is those things-what happens to children, old people, and especially
(young girls and women), their homes, families, villes, cultures, societies, 
and also, to other Marines blown to bits, maimed, traumatized for a medal
that hurts and causes pain most every day of my life.

Those of us who survived had to fight our own government for recognition
that their wounds/conditions merited treatment. But,the children of Vietnam
Afghanistan, Iraq or any country America wages war upon...have to fend
for theirselves.

But she is 'The Girl I Met on Christmas Day 1968’ ' or 'The Christmas Girl'
and she can make me cry easy...when I think of her. I will never forget
her, and always am thinking of her at this time of year whilst everyone
goes shopping and carries on.

War is a criminal enterprise! Or, as Major-General Smedley D. Butler said,
'War is a Racket'.

Vietnam is over there, but the war is still inside. All of the hurt you see or
feel and suppress at the time...you feel later when you are home...and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment